Monday, February 19, 2007

The Power of Washington


At the time of his acceptance of command of the American forces, George Washington had never taken an army into battle, and had in fact been retired from the military for fifteen years.

"I am truly sensible of the high honor done me in this appointment, yet I feel great distress from a consciousness that my abilities and military experience may not be equal to the extensive and important trust. However, as the Congress desire it, I will enter upon the momentous duty, and exert every power I possess in their service and for the support of the glorious Cause... But lest some unlucky event should happen unfavorable to my reputation, I beg it may be remembered by every gentleman in the room that I this day declare with utmost sincerity, I do not think myself equal to the command I am honored with."

George Washington, June 16, 1775